It's that time of year when we are looking for the perfect holiday gifts for our family and friends. Listed below are a few guidelines I try to follow to make gift-giving meaningful and resourceful.
Give gifts of experience rather than stuff:
- Tickets to an event such as a concert, sporting event, etc.
- Gift Certificates for a massage, pedicure, or spa
- Gift certificate to a local restaurant
- Admission to the ice rink, zoo, aquarium, art museum, play or a movie.
- Paid lessons for music, yoga, dancing, cooking classes, etc.
Thoughtful gift purchasing:
- Durability: look at what the product is made of (plastic vs. metal vs. wood)
- Origin: Is the item made in the USA?
- Practicality: How many candles and snow globes does a person really need? Give something they could use.
- Wear: Not everything has to be purchased brand-new
Handmade Gifts (Made by you or someone else):
- Baked, canned or pickled gifts
- Homemade Soap
- Reuse gift bags, ribbons, and bows from previous years
- Reuse holiday boxes that are already printed with decorations and don't need wrapping paper.
- Put your gift in a reusable cloth bag to encourage others to use cloth bags when they go shopping.