Simply Resourceful

Simple ways to be more conscious about how we use our resources.

toothpaste


The last tube of toothpaste met the garbage can last week.  I've been doing some research about homemade toothpaste and thought I'd give it a try.  Like most things, I'm willing to at least try something before eliminating the possibility.  I got this recipe from the Oxray Farm Blog that I watch.  


I've been using the toothpaste for a week now and have a difficult describing what it tastes like.  The best comparison I have is eating vanilla yogurt for years and then eating plain yogurt----going from super sweet to super tart.   It took a lot of convincing to use this stuff the first week.  The ironic thing about this homemade toothpaste is that my teeth actually feel cleaner after I brush.  My teeth feel super smooth!  I can get used to the sour taste and lack of bubbles, but I really miss the minty fresh feel that conventional toothpaste leaves in the mouth after brushing.


Recipe:

almost 1/4 c. baking soda
almost 1/4 c. coconut oil
4+ drops of peppermint essential oil (more or less as needed)
about 1.5 Tablespoons of honey
1.5 teaspoons hydrogen peroxide









2 comments :

Jenn Mer March 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM  

My dad has been using straight baking soda for years and the dentist says his mouth and gums are amazingly clean and healthy. I like your recipe better than straight soda. Thank you for sharing the recipe and your initiation into using it!

Phoebe March 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM  

What I have when I run out of toothpaste is to dip my brush into hydrogen peroxide and then baking soda.
I think the peppermint oil would help the taste for sure.
I think I might feel a little weird about using honey on my teeth before bed though. I might try Stevia.
Hooray it looks like the comment box is going to let me leave a comment!

About this blog

A weekly update on our adventures of trying to be more self-sufficient by using resources wisely. We explore a variety of topics that most broadly fit in the "Homesteading" category, i.e. beekeeping, organic gardening, edible landscaping/fruit forest, food preservation/canning, woodworking, soap-making, and environmental stewardship.

Search My Blog

I've been featured on:


Followers

Facebook

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.