Simply Resourceful

Simple ways to be more conscious about how we use our resources.

Making Mittens From Wool Sweaters

I have been needing a pair of warm mittens for years and decided to make my own after scouring the internet for a reasonably priced, high quality pair made in the USA.  During my search, I found several websites selling mittens made from wool sweaters, and I said, "Those look easy to make, why don't I make myself a pair?" 

At the local second hand store, I purchased several 100% wool sweaters of various colors.  Before cutting the sweaters, I shrunk them in hot water followed by high heat so the wool fibers would get really tight.

The insides are lined with warm fuzzy fleece.

To date I have made fourteen pairs of mittens to sell at the Wild Ramp and for giving to friends.  

Adding a button to the mitten cuff gives the mittens a finished look and keeps the cuff from folding down.  When I add the button, I sometimes don't stitch down the cuff.

This video provided the best tutorial that I found on the internet.  A printable pattern can be found at: http://romancakedesigns.com/  I found this pattern to be a little small for my hand so I made the pattern a little larger.


2 comments :

Melissa January 28, 2016 at 8:08 AM  

Thank You!! I have been meaning to make these for years.

Jenn Mer June 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM  

What a wonderful way to make use of old or shrunken wool sweaters! I love the variety of patterns and designs, along with the button to hold it together. The perfect mix of simplicity and resourcefulness!

About this blog

A weekly update on our adventures of trying to be more self-sufficient by using resources wisely. We explore a variety of topics that most broadly fit in the "Homesteading" category, i.e. beekeeping, organic gardening, edible landscaping/fruit forest, food preservation/canning, woodworking, soap-making, and environmental stewardship.

Search My Blog

I've been featured on:


Followers

Facebook

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.